What better way to demonstrate your appreciation for all the hard work your child’s teacher has done this year than with a gift requiring a bit of your handiwork?
Here, Amanda Smith, owner of Bayside Beauty in Maryland, a purveyor of natural handcrafted soaps, shares her DIY sugar scrub and whipped body butter recipes. Both products make excellent items to include in a pampering gift for tired teachers.
DIY Sugar Scrub
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup carrier oil, such as grapeseed oil, olive oil or sweet almond oil
- 25 to 30 drops of your favorite essential oil
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs or flowers (optional)
- 2 to 3 drops liquid food coloring of your choice (optional)
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine sugar, salt, carrier oil and essential oil.
- Stir ingredients until thoroughly combined. If desired, add dried herbs or flowers and food coloring.
- Pack sugar scrub mixture into airtight containers and store covered until ready to use.
Whipped Body Butter
- 1 cup unrefined shea butter
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup light carrier oil, such as sweet almond oil, jojoba oil or grapeseed oil
- 10 to 15 drops of your favorite essential oil
- Melt shea butter, coconut and light carrier oils in a microwave-safe bowl in 30-second increments.
- Once most of the oils are melted, stir until shea butter is completely melted.
- Add your desired essential oil and place in the refrigerator or freezer until the oils solidify.
- Using a handheld electric mixer, beat until the mixture reaches a smooth, whipped consistency.
- Place body butter in a jar and store in a cool place until ready to use.
Check out our May issue for more creative gift ideas for Teacher Appreciation Week.