Our 8-month old is always looking for new forms of entertainment and stimulation. I had seen this type of product recommended for her age group and was very excited to see how she would react to them. These Little Tikes Grip N Roll sensory balls are meant to stimulate babies while focusing on their development of fine and gross motor skills, hand/eye coordination and tactile senses. The recommended age range is 6 months and up.
The package contained three soft plastic balls, one large and two small, each a different translucent color. They were all properly inflated to allow for a baby to grip/grab while still having some ability to bounce.
The balls all are coated with nubs that make them easy for baby to grip. Our little one was fascinated with the new texture and explored them for intently, grabbing, pushing and even giving them a good chew test! We then spent about 20 minutes rolling the ball back and forth. She loved the ability for interactive play, as did I. Once her older brother (3 1/2) woke up, he was also very interested in the balls and spent some time playing with them (mainly throwing and bouncing!).
These balls are a toy we keep coming back to, as the whole family can interact and create games that span a large age range. My son loves to be able to do something with his sister, and I love that they are safe even when he gets a bit rowdy. Their plastic material also allows for a periodic good cleaning after little hands and mouths have been exploring. Once the weather is warmer, I envision these balls as a great outdoor or pool toy.
- Material: The soft plastic allows for gripping, rolling, and most importantly chewing, as most babies in this range are teething and mouthing almost everything!
- Colors/Sizes: The variety of sizes allows for baby to try gripping/grabbing, throwing, and kicking in different ways, important for development of fine and gross motor skills. The different colors are appealing to all age ranges, and the translucency allowed baby to explore looking into/ through the balls.
- Textures: The nubby texture provides for extreme sensory play while trying to grip, roll, throw and push.
- Socialization: As mentioned above, my son loved to be able to play with his sister using these balls. He developed several little games and they enjoyed each other’s company. I am looking forward to bringing out these balls for future playdates to encourage socialization/group play as my daughter ages.
- Easy to clean: The plastic surface is easily wiped down with soap and water. There do not appear to be inlets where water can enter the ball and get trapped.
- Maintenance: No way to inflate the balls if air is lost
- Size difference: There is a large difference in the size of the largest ball and the two small ones. A medium size ball added to the set would be a nice addition.
Little Tikes Grip N Roll Balls (Set of 3)
Manufactured by Little Tikes
Available at Toys R Us (www.toysrus.com) or www.amazon.com
Appealed to the advertised age range: 5
Instructions were easy to follow: 5
My child played with this multiple times: 4
Small pieces were a problem: n/a
Would travel well: 4
I would purchase this for my family: Yes
I would purchase this as a gift: Yes
Overall ratin:g 4.5
Meet the Reviewer!
Christy Petrak is a Systems Engineer currently taking a leave of absence to raise her two children, Thomas (3 1/2 years) and Eliza (8 months). She enjoys spending time with her family, swimming, and baking/decorating cupcakes.