National publication, Parenting, conducted a nationwidesurvey, asking moms to determine the criteria needed to classify acity as family-friendly.
Moms chose the top 100 cities based onthe following criteria, in order of importance:
- Quality of schools
- Affordability and availability ofquality housing
- Low crime rates; job availability andgrowth
- Number of registered sex offenders
- Recreational opportunities
- Quality/quantity ofpediatricians/family physicians
- Commute time and distance
- Proximity to a good children’s hospital
- Quality/quantity of childcarefacilities and preschools
- Air quality
Highlights for why DC was rated #1 include great museums, wonderful bike paths, safety, lots offamily-friendly eateries, abundance of festivals (especially CherryBlossom) and the history that surrounds our nation’s capitol.
For more on the Top 100 Cities, checkout Parenting’s website.
New to the DC area? Here’s your guide to all-things-family!