For many mothers, the last thing on their mind in the morning is engaging in a full-blown makeup session before getting up with the kids and starting their day.
And, while most moms can agree that they want to look put together, whether they are heading to the office or the playground, they also can agree that they want a routine that is simplified. They want to “Wake Up Ready.”
That’s where Josie Nguyen, mom of three and owner of DC Lash and Brow Bar, comes in. According to Nguyen, moms can look good and get out the door quickly. It only takes a few tips and tricks.
First up on the quest to effortless beauty is eyebrow tinting.
There are many ways you can enhance your brows for a bolder, sharper look. For those of us that don’t want to try the route of shaping, waxing or threading, tinting may be a good option. Eyebrow tinting involves using semi-permanent dye to tint the natural brows, giving the appearance of thicker, fuller eyebrows. Some businesses, including DC Lash and Brow Bar, will custom-mix the tint to get the perfect shade for your skin. It takes no more than 10-15 minutes to complete, so it is a quick and efficient way to shape your brows.
The procedure: Much like when you are getting your hair dyed, a base cream will be applied around the brow area to stop any of the dye from staining the skin. Then, a technician will lightly trace the color through the brows to get the proper shape. After this, the semi-permanent dye is mixed up before being applied to the brows with a spoolie brush.
So, how long does eyebrow tinting last? A tint usually lasts between three to four weeks depending on individual hair growth, time spent in the sun and how much you wash your face. It will fade away; naturally. Just lay back, relax and let your brow technician get to work. After application, you need to wait at least 24 hours before water can touch them.
Another trick to wake up ready is the application of eyelash extensions.
“The great thing about eyelash extensions is that it ranges from something super natural where it just mimics them using mascara, or they can go glam or ultra-glam, which is great for brides,” Nguyen says. “It’s customizable to whatever your daily lifestyle is.”
And, for those moms that don’t want to spend precious time filling in their brows every morning, there is the option of henna brows.
“This is a new and upcoming trend for brows where it replaces having to fill in your brows. It does stain the skin temporarily for a longer period than tinting, up to six to eight weeks. It’s not as invasive or long-lasting as microblading,” she says. “It’s great for those that want to change their shape all the time or for those that color their hair a lot. We can alter it to that.”
For those that love the look of falsies, but hate the hassle that comes with the application, a lash lift and tint procedure is a viable option, Nguyen says, adding that they typically last six to eight weeks.
“A lash lift is great for that busy woman who isn’t ready to commit to weekly maintenance of eyelash extensions,” she says. “Lash lifts curl your natural lashes and we then tint it afterward to whichever color you desire. So if you’re busy, you have a very active lifestyle, or you’re more rigorous with your makeup, this is a great alternative because it requires very little maintenance at all.”
And what’s the last essential step in simplifying your morning routine? Less is more, Nguyen says.
“I think for me, I’ve always been a big advocator for less is more because as a mom on the go, the last thing you want to do is doll yourself up and then realize that you have three kids that are throwing stuff in your face or whatever your lifestyle is. So I always say less is more. Be confident in what you look like and own it.”
[divider style=”solid” top=”20″ bottom=”20″]
FRESH-FACED: 5 At-Home Ways to “Wake Up Ready”
1. Drink Warm Water with Lemon: Drinking warm lemon water first thing in the morning promotes healthy digestion, and purges toxic materials from the bloodstream, keeping the skin clear and radiant. Vitamin C in lemon also plays a critical role in rejuvenating skin internally so that you can look and feel youthful.
2. Cleanse with Milk: To get clear, refreshed skin, it needs to be clean of dirt, pollution and oil. Use raw milk as a natural cleanser. Grab a cotton pad and spread it evenly across your face to unclog pores and keep skin radiant.
3. Refresh: If you don’t have the time to wash your face in the morning, use an astringent or toner. Try using witch hazel, rose water, green tea or any other at-home DIY remedies first thing and your skin will feel invigorated in no time.
4. Exfoliate: Exfoliation is essential to help eliminate the build-up of dead skin, oil or makeup. Create your own exfoliator at home with brown sugar and honey to help open the pores and reveal fresh, new skin underneath.
5. Eat Right: The saying is true. We are what we eat. The first step to glowing skin and keeping wrinkles at bay is to start with foods like almonds, fruit and oats. You can also try protein-rich foods like salmon and leafy, green vegetables, all proven to nourish and strengthen the body from the inside out.