Help your child get in the right Study Mood next time they sit down to work on homework with these tips!
- Before you get started, sharpen pencils, make sure you have blank paper, scratch paper, ink pens and proper supplies.
- Make sure that the study area has adequate lighting.
- Get comfortable. Clothes that are ill-fitting will not enhance your study session. Wear something casual and loose fitting.
- Find a quiet place to study and remove all possible distractions. Turn off the TV, iPod or MP# players, game systems, and radios.
- Work in a clean “study space.” Scattered junk creates unnecessary distractions.
- Let your cell phone and home phone ring through to voice mail until your study session is over. Chatting on the phone can waste lots of precious time.
- Do your homework when you are well rested. Right after a nap or first thing in the morning is good because your mind will be alert and fresh. If you don’t have a choice, and you are really exhausted, and have to study anyway, take a ten minute break first and go running or walking briskly to get blood flowing through your body and to your brain.
- Keep a drink of water at your work station so you don’t dehydrate while studying.
- Avoid eating snacks and munchies while studying. Gum is okay if you need something to chew on without the calories and distraction of food, wrappers, heating food up, crumbs etc.
- Help get your child ready for success in school!
- Take a study break and do a fun craft like decorating your backpack!
- Try these tasty Dipper Treats as an after-school snack!
Tips adapted from Words of Wellness