By the time the Washington region has its second or third day of Septemberheat and humidity, I’m already mentally fast-forwarding to autumn. I can’t getenough of the beautiful fall weather or the new fall-friendly styles availablein stores.
While some people can’t wait to throw on their swimsuit or flip-flopsin the summer, I prefer the autumn style milestones…like putting on my favoritepair of boots for the first time since winter.
For Fall 2011, here are some tips on maximizing your current closet inventorywhile incorporating new trends into your look.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR: PRINTS
· Polka dot prints will be huge for fall. To addpolka dots in a grown-up way, try a pair of polka dot ballet flats paired withjeans, a blazer and a plain tee.
· Don’t beconcerned with wearing geometric printsin an office environment. They’re more stylish than a monochromatic look andoften help clothing look more expensive than it is.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR: TEXTURE
· Do you still havesome sequined dresses or tops hidingin your closet from this past fall/winter season? Sequins are sticking aroundthis year too. Put them back into rotation!
· Mix the textures of your clothing for a luxuriouslook. Try some new skinny cords with a linen pullover from summer and topeverything off with a tweed jacket.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR: COLOR
· Bright colors were everywhere this spring and summer,but are transitioning into outerwear pieces for fall. Snap up a neon coat ifyou can—they’ll go fast!
· Wardrobe basics(like trousers, tees and work-appropriate shift dresses) take on a new look in rich jewel tones like topaz yellow andamethyst.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR:ACCESSORIES
· The chunkier thejewelry, the better. Layer on lots of bigbangles for a fashion-forward look.
· Stash your brightnail color for now and go for gunmetalmetallic nail polish with a hint of sparkle.
Have fun with thisfall’s fabulous fashions!
Jaclyn Day lives near Annapolis, Md., and writes apopular blog about affordable fashion and style. Visit her atblog.jaclynday.com.
After-school snacks for the kids!
Have fun with fashion and decorate tees with your kids. Here’s how!