I feel strongly that crafting and creating is a win-win for parents and children.
If there’s one thing that I learned from being a mom is that kids want nothing more but to spend quality time with you. Add some crafting fun to it, and you’ve created memorable holiday traditions that will last a lifetime and that hopefully one day they will carry on with their kids.
My daughter Sofia and I decided to make a fun and easy Valentine’s Day garland together that we used to decorate her new market cart. A garland is a great craft to create with your children; it’s very simple and can be used as a décor piece anywhere in your home.
Valentine’s Day Heart Garland Materials
• Scissors or a cricut cutting machine (available from michaels.com)
• Baker’s twine (my favorite for garlands)
• Cardstock (choose any color—we chose pink and white)
• Hot glue gun (you can also use a craft tacky glue)
1. Decide how long you want to make your garland. We made one for a market cart, so we cut our twine for the garland about 24 inches long.
2. Cut your hearts from the cardstock. We cut about five hearts to fit nicely with about
2 ½ inches of space between each heart. You can keep the cutouts as close or as far away from each other as you’d like.
3. Position the hearts over the twine so that you can visualize the placement of each one in the garland.
4. Hot glue two spots on each side of the heart at the top of the cutout.
5. Place the twine on the hot glue spots on the hearts and press to close. Keep applying until you finish the garland.
Sofia enjoyed placing the twine on the glue spots while I focused on hot gluing each heart in the garland. There is something about crafting with my kids that brings me so much joy and fulfillment. I know these memories will last a lifetime, and we both will cherish them forever.
Here’s to creating more holiday traditions with your children and making memories that will leave a long-lasting impression.
More Fun Ways to Celebrate Valentine’s Day
- Bake Valentine cookies together
- Create heart-shaped food
- Make a coupon for a one-on-one date with your kiddos
- Dress in pink or red together
- Read a Valentine’s Day–themed book
- Wear matching Valentine’s Day–themed pajamas together
- Make Valentines and deliver them to the neighbors
- Organize a Valentine’s Day movie night
- Prepare a “berry” delicious smoothie with fresh strawberries or raspberries
- Plan a Valentine’s Day family photo shoot