Although Halloween is usually considered a “children’s holiday,” according to a new national survey, increasing numbers of “furry kids” are getting in on the fun – and Virginia is ranked #1!
Big Heart Pet Brands (the makers of Milk-Bone and Pup-Peroni, among other treats) asked 3,000 U.S. dog owners about including their canine pals in Halloween festivities. Here are the Top 25 ‘Howl-O-Ween’ States:
- New Jersey
- South Carolina
- New York
- West Virginia
- North Carolina
- South Dakota
To determine the rankings, Milk-Bone and Milo’s Kitchen asked pet owners if they dress up their dog in costume, take their dog trick-or-treating, or include them in a variety of other Halloween activities.
Here are the results for Virginia dog owners:
- Dress up their dog in costume — 64 percent
- Greet trick-or-treaters at the door with their dog — 43 percent
- Give their dog extra treats during Halloween — 57 percent
- Take their dog to doggy parades or gatherings — 21 percent
- Bring their dog trick-or-treating – 36 percent
And, it turns out, different breeds like different treats, at least according to this survey:
- 52% of Working Dogs — including Dobermans and Great Danes — prefer “natural meat and meat jerky” treats
- 59% of Toy breeds — including Pomeranians and Pugs — most love “soft and chewy” treats
- Soft and chewy snacks are also the favorite treats of Terriers (58%) and Non-Sporting breeds (47%).
- Biscuits and crunchy treats are the top choice of Hounds (53%), Herding Dogs (56%), and Sporting Dogs (57%).
Courtesy of Big Heart Pet Brands