Benefits of Summer Camp
• Kids get an opportunity to learn about academic ideas in an experiential way-limiting the amount of summer brain drain that takes place.
• Camp offers a stimulating environment with plenty of things to do and fun places to cool off.
• Camp fosters independence and promotes group living.
• Camp is a safe environment that encourages unstructured free play- an opportunity that urban children often miss out on.
• Kids learn about themselves. They learn to take responsibility for their actions and belongings.
• Children get an opportunity to meet new people that are not in their school or neighborhood cliques.
• They learn to solve their own problems.
• Kids get a chance to explore the outdoors where it is green instead of staring at a computer, television, or cell phone screen.
• Kids begin to understand the impact of their actions on nature.
• Performing in plays, lip synching to a favorite song, or participating in a talent show helps children build the self-confidence they need to do public speaking.
• One study found that children reminisce about camp right before they take a test or do a stressful activity. They say those memories make them at ease.
Need More Information
Planning for Camp
Preparing Children for the Summer Camp Experience